GALAXIII Banner

Banner Design

Introduction        Process       Conclusion

GALAXIII Banner Art Variations

Technical Information:

Programs Used: Adobe Photoshop

Role: Designer

Date: November 2020

Client: GALAXIII

Introduction

In this project, I was initially tasked with designing banner art for a YouTube gaming community channel called GALAXIII. I played around with the shape of the nebula and the shape of the galaxies. I also had to watch tutorials on how to make this artificial space composition. With a lot of revisions, I made this project work and added a few flares and duplicates to emphasize the glows.  Currently this work has been moved over and set to be a main landing page banner image for the soon-to-be-produced website.

Process

Initial Design/Brainstorming:

Before designing, I thought about what the focus of the design should be on and discussed with one of the founders about what they wanted their community to feel like for other people, especially newcomers. When I found the core ideals that this community wanted to express, I then started with drawing the scene and compositing where I want the main focuses to be on – while also taking the text placement into consideration (the text needed to be clear without taking away too much attention to the galaxies in the background).

My main references were nebulas, galaxies, and any NASA-related images that had the “zoom-in” that’s shown in space photos. I then created a mood-board to expand on my imagination and added colors, shapes, and space-related images I could potentially use for the banner. Galaxies and nebulas were the subjects that I planned on using to determine the flow of the design. The text that displayed the name I planned to keep modern and bold.

Rough Designs:

When I finished the first batch of the designs, along with some feedback, I noticed that the banner art was too bright. This would create issues with direction and focus. With the galaxy background and text being the same brightness, there wasn’t a clear focus on what element the eyes should look at – also, the overall design would just be too bright in general.

Next, I tried lowering the brightness to a significant amount and took away the border on the text. This would then place more focus on the text without the design being “all-in-your-face.” The problem my client had with this variation was that now the design felt too dark. The background wouldn’t be as noticeable, and the colors wouldn’t show in the overall design. Also, without the border around the texts, it didn’t feel like the text were part of a group.

After taking all these designs and going through a lot of trial and error, I found a middle-ground where the texts were focused, with the border added back to show that texts are on the same group. I mixed texts from previous variations and manipulated the sizing to show hierarchy in the design. And the background was darkened – but not to the point where it’s unrecognizable.

Conclusion

In conclusion, this project allowed me to explore more about design and functions in Photoshop. It was a great experience going through the process of creating and editing these works. Though I would’ve liked to explore more and see how far I can push this design further, the way it is right now is just right. Maybe in the future I’ll create more designs and take some of what I learned in this work onto the next project – without just replicating this design, of course. Overall, I was able to find a medium based on past variations and was able to make ends meet, as well as create this galaxy that emphasizes on wondering, that whatever is out there in space, may not be so far after all.